Washington State Training
How to find the necessary training:
PRIDE: This is the training you take before you get the foster license. The primary caregiver must take PRIDE. It is not required, but recommended for the second parent.
1. A 3-hour PRIDE Orientation is required and can be done in person (recommended) or on-line at the following link: www.dshs.wa.gov/ca/fosterparents/preService.asp. This link will also guide you to in person classes in your area. Once done with the quiz, print the certificate or "passport" and hand carry to the PRIDE pre-service training classes. Please also send a copy to Yvette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Call your local DSHS office to see when the PRIDE pre-service training is being offered. Or you can go on-line at the above link to find a class in your area. It is free to anyone wanting to become a foster parent.
3. Families Like Ours (FLO) in Seattle offers PRIDE training. You can contact them by phone at 206-441-7602 or at www.familieslikeours.org or www.wapridetraining.org. They may also be able to assist you in finding classes throughout the state.
4. Northwest Adoption Exchange can help you locate training. They can be reached by phone at 206-441-6822 or visit their website at www.nwae.org.
CPR/ FIRST AID/BLOODBORNE PATHOGEN TRAINING:
1. Call local hospitals, American Red Cross, fire departments.
2. Look at the Keep the Beat website - www.keepthebeatcpr.net - to find classes in your area.
3. Sometimes your local community college offers classes. Give them a call.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING IS REQUIRED FOR FOSTER PARENTS TO MAINTAIN LICENSE: Effective October 15, 2011 the State of Washington has changed their requirements for ongoing training. So You Have Your First Placement is a 3-hour course to be taken in the 1st year of licensing. Additionally, Parenting Plus is a 36-hour course required within first 2 years of licensing. These classes will be listed at www.dshs.wa.gov/ca/fosterparents/training. Please note that classes are limited at this time and it is important for families to be responsible for checking the website periodically before their licensing periods expire.
Once you have finished your training, we must have a copy of the certificate of completion for our file. If the training is not completed and verified, the license can be suspended. You may receive monthly reminders from AAI when training is needed. If you have questions, call Kathy, Gay or Yvette at the AAI office, 888-481-4775 or 360-452-4777.
Kathy - email@example.com
Gay - firstname.lastname@example.org
Yvette - email@example.com